Thursday, November 24, 2011

Toy for Bloggers?

Got a blogger in your life? Want to get them something new and fancy? Are you a blogger? Looking to see if the shiny iPad 2 does everything you need?

I don't have one, but my mom ended up getting one, so I spent some time yesterday checking out how easy it would be to use it as a Thurs-Demo tool. I did two tests. The first was pulling a full-size HD movie off my Canon 7D and processing it with the iPad. The second was a video shot with the iPad's video camera. Both of these were done with iMovie and were remarkably quick to make. The slowest part is the USB link between iPad and camera.





I would venture to say that the video quality off the iPad isn't bad. In places with lots of light, it's pretty clear and sharp. But in lower-light locations (indoors with curtains drawn), it's a bit grainy. And the resolution of the video is sufficient, but not so high resolution as to track individual drops of water or grains of sand...

I thought some of you might be interested - I know the most interesting thing about the iPad2 for me is the enhanced video capability. It's not something that would replace the high-end video capability I have with my Canon 7D and computer, but it would shorten the time required for some of the video work and it does create possibilities where none existed before.

No comments:

Post a Comment