Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Weird Geology?

So the topic for Accretionary Wedge #34 is "Weird Geology." So I've been thinking about what strikes me as "weird." As a budding geologist, there were odd things, but I'm wracking my brain to put details to what specific concepts really weirded me out... for now, let me share with you something I see as the "weirdest" geo-topic in my mind right now. Molten Rock.

Hawaii_2868

My wife and I took a trip to Hawai'i last year, and we got to (barely) watch the eruption. The idea that there is enough heat within the earth to melt rock - and that this melt can reach the surface still amazes me. The landscapes are also so foreign to a geologist raised on the North American Craton, what with the shallow dipping layers of sedimentary rock lying atop igneous-metamorphic crustal basement rocks.

Hawaii_4072
The barren landscape inside the Haleakala crater is very alien to what I'm familiar with.

Hawaii_4079
In fact, if you shift the blues in the sky towards red, you could almost imagine you were walking across the surface of Mars...

No comments:

Post a Comment