Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Sinister snails

Dietl and Hendricks (2006) recently published an analysis of left-handed versus right-handed marine gastropods (mostly Conus and Busycon). Seems their results indicate a preference for sinistral shells. I want to get a copy of the article before getting into more detail, but since I went to school with the second author, I thought I'd give a quick shout out.

BBC news post.

Dietl, G.P., Hendricks J.R. 2006. Crab scars reveal survival advantage of left-handed snails. Biology Letters. Early Online Publishing.

1 comment:

  1. I want to get a copy of that paper too. One thing that didn't make sense, based on what I read on the BBC article, is that if sinistral snails are more likely to aurvive predator attacks, then why are they not more common?

    ReplyDelete