Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 In Review: GSA in Denver

Okay, last up for the year in review (I'm not going through spring/summer things, because vacation).

In late October I journeyed out to Denver for the annual Geological Society of America meeting. This year I had some special projects planned. First, I brought along my Kinect scanner - and Steve Gough of Little River Research and Design was kind enough to let me set it up on one of their stream tables on display. Second, I brought our high speed camera to catch the Emflume in operation.

There was a Mythbusters exhibit at the DMNH while I was there (some might call this a running gag for the year)

A very Daffy-Duck looking hadrosaur.

Went on a photography field trip, got to give my tilt-shift lens a workout.

The camera and lighting of the flume.

Just like any good party, every flat surface is covered in empties and wounded soldiers.


The Kinect scanner - mounted on a lighting stand and placed over the table. The computer is hooked up to the large monitor in the background so people could see the live 3D image.

This is what the stream table looked like after a day of visitors.

Steve hoping the day would go well. Or appealing to the powers of Arduino to get his time-lapse slider to work properly.

Ron Schott (fellow UW-Madison alum and one of the few students who were there longer than I was) was trying out his Google Glasses.


Which I got to try out. A little awkward when worn over regular spectacles, but I can see some potential uses for the technology for science outreach.


gx8 1917-Emflume9-sed-trans from Matt Kuchta on Vimeo.


gx8 1917-Emflume7-paddle from Matt Kuchta on Vimeo.


gx8 1917-Emflume10-paddle from Matt Kuchta on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment