Saturday, November 17, 2012

Slow-Motion Saturday

I spent what little good light we have during these fall days shooting some slow-motion footage of bursting water balloons. But I went for a more dramatic approach:

WaterBalloonGlissando from Matt Kuchta on Vimeo.


I've dropped balloons onto thumbtacks, stuck them with needles, even shot them with BBs. But there's something absolutely amazing and vaguely disturbing about using a straight razor. It also marks the first time using my new C-stand. It's just about the best thing ever to hang the balloons, or hold on to the razor and throw balloons at. They also make excellent blast shield (1/4" to 1/2") plexiglass holders for protecting the camera from flying debris.

Untitled
Here's what the setup looked like with the balloon hanging off the C-stand. I shot the video with the balloons lit from behind by the sun. It made for a wonderful effect with the balloons, but I think I need to find a better backdrop.

Untitled
The demon barber of water balloons...

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite one. I especially like the way the water looks when you cut the knot off the balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of bursting water balloons in general, but I think I've found my favorite method of dispatching them...

    ReplyDelete